I'm working on a stack that launches stacks from the web with 'go stack URL'.

I know there are certain characters that are illegal or unsafe in URL strings. (See http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1738) These include space, quote and a number of others. Most web browsers automatically escape these characters for you, so, e.g., a space is converted to '% 20' before the browser sends the request to the server.

I'm about to start writing a function that checks a potential stack URL for illegal and unsafe characters and converts them to escape sequences, but I don't want to reinvent the wheel if such a thing already exists.

Am I right that there is no equivalent functionality built into Rev? I know about URLEncode(), of course, but that serves a different purpose--formatting strings for POSTing, rather than formatting strings for retrieving files from a server (a GET request?) Am I understanding this correctly?

A related issue is, are there characters that are disallowed as filenames for rev stackfiles? I can't find any such list anywhere. I suppose this would be determined by the host OS?

Thanks.

Devin

Devin Asay
Brigham Young University