Dave,
< the platform > correctly returns MacOS for all Macintosh systems. To distinguish them use < the systemVersion >

-- this function (taken from the stdLib) lets you know if it is OSX
function isOSX
  if the platform is not "MacOS" then return false
  get the systemversion
  set the itemdel to "."
  if item 1 of it >= 10 then return true
  return false
end isOSX

-- if it is OSX then you can check to see if < the processor > contains "PowerPC"
if isOSX() then
   if   "PowerPC" is in the processor then
     put "PPC"
   else