Hi Charles,

From an ergonomic point of view, it's probably not a very good idea to:
. Alert the user when he is wrong. I would not like a software that tells me: 'Be careful what you are doing, absent minded!' :-) . Not to allow the user to use the Tab or Return keys as he is used to. I would think: 'Too bad. Does this guy know something about guidelines?'

Then another approach could be to just not let the user enter a *wrong* value. To get you started, The "#020 How to master users data in entry boxes" tutorial might help you: This stack shows you how to allow the user to type the data you expect according to a format in an entry box field. Five examples are provided from a simple ZIP code to custom sophisticated formats.

You will access this tutorial through "Tutorials Picker" a free plugin that interfaces with the So Smart Software website in order to display all available tutorials stacks directly from the web.
You will find it by going to http://www.sosmartsoftware.com/.
Revolution/Plugins or Tutorials section.

For instance, in a field that would only accept digits lower than a given value:

on keydown pKey
  local tMaxValue
  -----
  put HigherScore() into tMaxValue -- max allowed value calculation
if pKey is an integer and value(target & pKey) < tMaxValue then pass keydown
  beep -- I hate beeps but it's for demonstration ;-)
end keydown

Best regards from Paris,
Eric Chatonet.