On 5/18/07, Peter Alcibiades <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Chipp, I think you may be drawing the wrong lesson.  Of course the bug you
mention is not useful.  The problem is that the database contains
it.  That
tells you something.  Bill's remark, that the database contains lots of
stuff
that is already fixed also tells you something.  Its good news and bad
news,
its good about the bugs.  Its less good about the database.

'That tells you something' -- perhaps I'm just slow, but I'm not sure what
that tells me?

'its good news and bad news-good about the bugs, less good about the
database'

-Again, completely confused at the point you're trying to make.

Just to be clear, I was advocating a responsible and logical approach for
submitting and/or reporting bugs which if used would create even more
integrity in the database.

People have enormous goodwill towards Rev.  They will accept realistic
targets
that are met, even if those targets are less than what they want, and less
than what the Rev team wants to deliver.  I think part of what Joel is
saying
may be:  pick a quantified realistic goal, communicate it, and stick to it
and deliver it.  Even if it not what people would have liked, they will
like
this approach to delivering a given quantity of work much better than any
possible alternative.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm still upset about promises broke concerning
flying cars and Dick Tracy watches ;-)