<looks around> Am I the only one to have just heard of SDB?
More infos? Links?

Cheers,

Luis.

On 30 May 2007, at 17:32, Rob Cozens wrote:

Scott, Joe, et al:

I believe Rob Cozens does something of the sought [partially load a db stack] with Serendipity, but the question is whether it's really worth while given it's all there already with a "real" database.

I've followed this thread this far wondering "should I bother to mention SDB, considering the underwhelming response it has received from the RunRun community?"

Scott & Andre might offer some insight in this regard, as both have at least looked at SDB. I've had eConversations with others who said they would look at SDB; but no followup questions, suggestions, or complaints. So I don't know if folks found it unsuitable or incomprehensible (Paul L., Our issues were different: you wanted SDB to work like EpsiTalk, which it could not do due to the issue Scott noted above--the entire database stack _is_ loaded in RAM & must be updated when one record changes.)

If a "real" database must by definition only partially load to RAM, then SDB is not a "real" db. OTOH, SDB supports multiuser client/ server access with both automatic & programatic record locking and multiple record search & retrieval via binary searches of indexed records in a Revolution db stack. But compared to a "real" database, once the db stack is opened, 0 disk accesses are required to retrieve any record. And note that in a client/server setup, only the server app sees the entire db stack, while the client front end stacks deal with data on a record-by-record basis. Also since SDB is 100% native Transcript, it is 100% cross platform compatible and requires no externals. I'll cut my promo short and note SDB is open source and free of royalty charges.

For some time Andre Garzia graciously provided download access to Serendipity Library (which includes SDB) at wecode.org. Andre and I have had some discussions about reinstating the download site once I was ready to release SDB II (which supports binary data in addition to text); but lacking any expression of interest from the RunRev community and faced with emerging issues (CA Marine Life Protection Act implementation, wave energy generation, and marine aquaculture) in my other area of focus, SDB II testing isn't high on my list.

As always, the source code, utilities, and example db stacks are available, and I'd certainly have more interest in working on it if someone else found it useful.

Rob Cozens, Staff Conservator
Mendonoma Marine Life Conservancy