Shari wrote:
I wouldn't want an Open Source Revolution. Where nobody is ultimately responsible for the bugs they create.

It is hard to beat the incentive of having your daily bread provided by product revenue. It keeps the food chain simple and direct, and provides perhaps the ultimate accountability: you don't produce, you don't eat. :)

I think there are a lot of merits to the traditional proprietary model which are often overlooked as we explore new philosophies. While revolutions often provide excitement, evolutions tend to produce more sustainable results in the long term. Market dynamics have evolved the proprietary model in ways that may not be so bad for a great many products, not bad at all.

Doesn't Open Source mean that one person can randomly make that decision, and implement it at his will? One person with a particular set of beliefs, that all people should have the newest computers out there with the latest and greatest OS's, goes into the source code and "breaks" it for anything older.

Then a week later, somebody else goes in and makes it backwards compatible again?

I imagine some FOSS projects are managed with the sort of anarchy, but the good ones have strong project managers who determine which contributions go in, and how. It's been said that the art of FOSS project management is ultimately the art of saying "No".

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Managing Editor, revJournal