On 6/10/07, David Bovill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Chipp - would it not be the best for "stability" to have the  existing
release cyle as "stable", and those wishing to live on the bleeding edge
(and get faster bug fixes and to participate in experimental features) to
opt in for the sort of release cycle that others are requesting?

I believe that is what 'beta testing' is for.

It's really just making the beta
programme more visible (ie its a plugin and an actively discussed option).
for one have only ever heard of beta testing once or twice as an aside on
this list. Stability is usually achieved by getting as much and as early
user testing as possible. I'd open things up a bit, with a clear
disclaimer,
and a plugin along the lines of that being discussed.

I  know Bill Marriot has been a big proponent of beta-testing here on this
list and on the Improve-list. There is a procedure for signing up for
beta-testing and getting the updates. The Enterprise users do have access to
upcoming beta versions via the current update functionality.