On 20 Jun 2007, at 19:47, Jim Ault wrote:

constant myConstant = myVar
repeat for each line with constant LNN in myConstant
end repeat

To be sure, Björnke, computer languages can be confusing. Try Applescript
and its highly-unintuitive world of variables!!  What a headache.

You ask any non programmer who would like his own custom program, why they do not use programming languages. Then think about how to change rev to make it easier for these people.

So let's look at the example you have shown above.
In this case, LNN cannot be a constant, since its value needs to update
every iteration.

Why not? Using a constant makes more sense in a case where the user can't change the value. I don't care if the computer sets the content of a variable or a constant. But i care when a value is labelled as changeable to the user, but is actually not.

Maybe there should be some area of the docs that addresses this issue of
power user tools vs general public tools.  I know I had to spend
considerable time learning the better code techniques in Rev over the last 3
years.

This was the sentiment that made me enter the discussion in the first place, so I repeat from my first post on the topic: "Adding description for every unexpected behaviour is like trying to prevent a breach in a dyke by explaining to the water that it should go somewhere else. If the language would behave as expected, there would be less airquote & bug & airquote reports immediately (and less breaking dykes)."

Down with the experts, long live the inexperienced
Björnke