Devin Asay wrote:
Declare your local variables and enable the "variable checking by default"
option.
It will help prevent typos and cut down your debugging time.

Right. On this one I have to weigh the gain of catching typos against the pain of giving beginning students yet One More Thing to remember while they're struggling to get their heads around the whole idea of variables.

These days I find myself on the fence again on this one.

While I'm attracted to it in principle, because variable declarations are optional I find myself enjoying turning that off while designing new code, since it's hard to know in advance what vars I'll be using and they tend to change as I refine the code.

The downside to this is that if I later turn on explicitVars I need to go back and add all those declarations; in the heat of meeting deadlines, I'll admit I rarely do.

So given the freedom of not using explicitVars while fleshing out algorithms, is it really a valuable thing and I'm just lazy?

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Managing Editor, revJournal