Len try this in the message box:

put "approved_by_code" into tFind
get matchText(tFind, "^(.*?)[^_]*$", p1)
put len(p1)

that outputs 12.  And with a string that contains no "_" it outputs 0

--gordy

On Jul 10, 2007, at 09:55, Len Morgan wrote:

I need to find the last matching character offset of a string withing another string. The offset function only gives me the first one. Is there a function I'm missing (like "offset from end of string") or a one or two liner I can use?

Example:

approved_by_code - I'm looking for the offset to the second "_" character so the result should be 12 in this example. It is also possible that there will only be one "_" character in which case, that is the offset I want.

Thanks in advance!

Len Morgan