Here's another solution. Really.

function quickSortAndFilter theData,theItemNr,theFilter
  set the itemDel to tab
  sort lines of theData by (item theItemNr of each is not theFilter)
  repeat for each line myLine in theData
    if item theItemNr of myLine is theFilter then
      put myLine & cr after myNewData
    else
      exit repeat
    end if
  end repeat
  return myNewData
end quickSortAndFilter

Let me add some explanation:
- theData is tab-delimited data
- theItemNr is the number of the column you want to search
- theFilter is the string you want to search for

Best regards,

Mark Schonewille

http://economy-x-talk.com
http;//www.salery.com

Quickly extract data from your HyperCard stacks with DIFfersifier. http://differsifier.economy-x-talk.com

Op 16-jul-2007, om 17:58 heeft Gregory Lypny het volgende geschreven:

Hello Everyone,

I'm struggling with the filter command. I have tab-delimited data in a field, where each row has at least 56 columns. I want to filter the data based on a chosen number in that fourth column, for example, to return all lines that have a 9 there. The fourth column only contains a number from 1 to 10. The following handler works most of the time. I put three wild card expressions, lone asterisks separated by tabs, to make sure nothing is being picked up in the first three columns. The tab and asterisk (and it could be just an *) following myNumber says that it doesn't matter what is in the columns after the fourth.
<snip>