Here is a suggestion:

Instructions:

1. Rename "myCardName" & "myStackName" with your card and stack names

2. make a field called "runningTimecode"

3. then, just call the handler "updateTC" once

It updates 10 times per second.

handlers:
------------

on updateTC
put convertTime(round(the currenttime of tPlayer()/the timescale of tPlayer())) into fld "runningTimecode" if ",updateTC," is not in the pendingmessages then send "updateTC" to me in 100 milliseconds
end updateTC

function convertTime
    put the currenttime of tPlayer() into this_time
    put the timescale of tPlayer() into movie_scale
    put this_time div movie_scale into total_seconds
    put (this_time mod movie_scale) into partial_seconds
    put ("." & partial_seconds) * 10 into tenths
    put total_seconds div 3600 into tHours
    put (total_seconds - (tHours * 3600)) div 60 into tMinutes
put (total_seconds - (tMinutes * 60) - (tHours * 3600)) div 1 into tSeconds
    set the numberformat to "##"
    if tHours <> 0 then
        return tHours & ":" & tMinutes & ":" & tSeconds & ":" & tenths
    else
        return tHours & ":" & tMinutes & ":" & tSeconds & ":" & tenths
    end IF
end convertTime

function tPlayer
return "player" && q("Player") && "of cd" && q("myCardName") && "of stack" && q("myStackName")
end tPlayer

function q a
    return quote & a & quote
end q