On Oct 30, 2007, at 9:45 AM, Lynn Fredricks wrote:

Well first of all, many people have the "I'll wait until
Service Pack 1 is out" (Windows) or "I'll wait until 10.x.1
is out" (Mac) attitude, and this is a legitimate perspective.
I have Leopard installed on an external drive at the moment
to do testing, etc., but I'm not going to upgrade right away
- I'm waiting to hear what works/doesn't work before I make
the move, and may even wait until "10.5.1" is out.

Of course people buying new machines or are early adopters
don't have this opportunity, but for those with existing
machines, I've found it just doesn't pay to jump the gun and
adopt an OS upgrade as soon as it comes out, unless there's
really no other choice.

I agree with Ken - new machine buyers have little choice (except those who dump Vista and go back to XP Pro ;-)) but companies, other than maybe Mac OS X developers and extreme enthusiasts, are not usually in a rush to upgrade
to the latest and greatest. The latest and greatest may just kill that
custom accounting system for example and that could wipe out the company.

I know of several corporations that were rolling out Windows 2000 even as Vista appeared. Once you know you have a platform that works, and you are
utterly dependent on that platform - why rush?

Then there are the developers that bundle their software with new hardware for each sale. We have to worry about OS upgrades because we ship our software on whatever OS Apple and Microsoft are shipping at the time. I always get nervous during these transitions. Luckily I do not use metal much. :)

Mark Talluto
--
CANELA Software
http://www.canelasoftware.com