Am actually looking for a solution that does not involve Spring and/or AOP.
We've got too many frameworks as it is :)

> ...define that the LoggingDao gets a new transaction as opposed to
> participating within the current transaction. This would suspend any current
> transaction and begin a new Transaction that would operate outside of your
> existing transaction

That's exactly what I'm looking for. But how can you start a new transaction
that is out of the scope of your current transaction if all your DAOs share a
single instance of SqlMapClient? The only solution I see is to create a new
LoggerDAO that has it's own SqlMapClient instance. I can do this without Spring
or AOP, it's simply appears to be a clumsy solution, so I hope there's a better
way.

Thanks

 --- On Thu 05/04,  < [EMAIL PROTECTED] > wrote:
If you were to use the Spring Framework you could write
a new Dao, LoggingDao, to handle inserts of your logging statements and
define that the LoggingDao gets a new transaction as opposed to participating
within the current transaction. This would suspend any current transaction and
begin a new Transaction that would operate outside of your existing transaction
and would cause your logging inserts to always commit, but you would need to
decide if this were to occur before or after the execution of your other
database activities.

No banners. No pop-ups. No kidding.