I would take the stand of discussing iBATIS in comparison to other technologies only as it pertains to a particular project. In generic terms it becomes very difficult to discuss a frameworks superiority/inferiority to another. Each framework has it's emphasis. I think it's important to understand iBATIS' goals and see if it fits into your project.

iBATIS has a few goals and philosophies that you will find it adhering to:

- iBATIS does it's best to maintain the 80/20 rule. iBATIS seeks to make 80% of what you would do with JDBC easier while realizing there will be things that are better handled by straight JDBC.
- iBATIS has a small learning curve.
- iBATIS retains the power of straight forward unparsed unabashed unfettered 100% pure vine ripened SQL
- iBATIS is value based. We do not attempt to retain object identity within a session or cache. If two "Person" objects exist with the same internal values, they will remain to distinct objects. This is in contrast to ORM frameworks which strive to maintain object identity.
- iBATIS does not give deference to the Object or Relational side. We work hard to provide equal oppotunity to developers to decide for themselves if deference should be given to the object side or the relational side.

If i can think of anything else i'll let you know :)

Brandon Goodin