Trying to be more specific:

Is it safe to create another object in the handleRow method, and set the
valueObject to it?

Is it safe to use queryForObject from within a handleRow method?  I've seen
other posts that imply it is.

Will that object then replace the original one, if it was created by a
queryForList or queryForObject call?  If I don't hear back, I guess I'll try
it to see...

Thanks...