2k parallel users.. Hmm, I dont see a need for you to think beyond tomcat.
But I would still vouch for jboss, cos it can get you support if you wanted.
I am hearing a lot of organizations talk about it these days and if you are
in one them or could be impacted by that clause later. yeah. Or else it
really doesnt matter.

As with regards to EJB. I am not sure on what open EJB is. But if you Have
to and only if you have to, use ejb3 with seam. I just dont see a use of you
thinking beyond Spring and Ibatis for ANY project.

-Sundar