> Why don't you just exclude this field in the <insert>?

<insert id="insertExampleWithDefaults" parameterClass="com.test.Example">
 INSERT INTO vjobs(name, description) VALUES
(#name#,#description#)
</insert>

GL

IMO because sometimes one need to insert NULL values too. So why don't you
add another insert statement to your xml that will omit the status field?