Hi Guys,

Sent this to the list a few days back - but I think it did not get there as the list was croked ... I think!

Been using Blender [ v2.44 ] on and off over the last few months. One thing that Blender has is access to a lot of FREEEEE EXTERNAL standalone Render Apps. These include INDIGO, SUNFLOW and PIXIE [ Renderman ], [ google the words to find the sites ] but the one for here is KERKYTHEA:

http://www.kerkythea.net/joomla/

Their is a special build of Blender which has Kerkythea integrated, but today I launched Kerkythea itself to find, in the File, Open menu it can import OBJ etc. So this obviously gives an in for REALSOFT. Model in RS, export as OBJ and then open in Kerkythea for an alternative render [ as one may do with Maxwell etc, but at huge cost as opposed to this being free ]. This standalone render app has GI implementation etc, in fact read this:

Supported Rendering Techniques
    - Classic Ray Tracing
    - Path Tracing (Kajiya)
    - Bidirectional Path Tracing (Veach & Guibas)
    - Metropolis Light Transport (Kelemen, Kalos et al.)
- Photon Mapping (Jensen) [mesh maps, photon maps, final gathering, irradiance caching, caustics]
    - Diffuse Interreflection (Ward)
    - Depth Rendering
    - Mask Rendering
    - Clay Rendering

as per features page here:

http://www.kerkythea.net/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=14&Itemid=48

This one of course is for all you doodlers. Maybe some fun. AND I stress, this mail is not set up for comparison reasons OR to have a stab at RS, just may be of interest to some who wish to play with an alternative complimentary render app that supports GI.

It has its own materials workshop, lights, cameras etc.

Cheers
Aidan