Ubuntu (8245 timer not connected to IO_APIC, kernal panic). I
hesitate risking my main workstation, who knows it ends up
unbootable... maybe practice on an older computer first.

-Mark H

That's an unusual problem.  I could only find three relevant hits
for it, and they were all from late 2006.  Two instances occurred
after BIOS updates and the other seemed to be related to a display
problem.  There were work-arounds but it was uncertain if these
might result in lowered performance.  Sadly, there were no
follow-ups, but then I couldn't find any recent occurrences either.

Are you using a recent fairly recent Ubuntu disk?

I wouldn't risk installing it on any of your systems until you can
get the live-cd/dvd version working first.

LeeE

Yeah, the most recent one 8.1.
I got the live CD working, even the internet connection works straight away! Earlier, I made a syntax error with the 'noapic' parameter, stupid... I think I'll take the plunge and install it on the HD if I manage to burn a windows vista backup CD. But two monitor support isn't straightforward, couldn'r work without it anymore! Much research to do..

thanks,
Mark H