Henry,

I remember quiet a while back messing around with this SSSish shader -
as far as I remember I was at the time using SSS in MESSIAH and / or
MODO. Timo then made this SSSish Shader. However the clue is in its
name - the ISH part. As far as I know its not a full SSS Solution, it
is a rough hack to give the illusion of SSS. At timos site here:

http://koti.welho.com/tmikkola/materials.html

He says himself - "A lousy SSS fake. Might work well enough for
wax-like materials."

Their is a README - http://koti.welho.com/tmikkola/materials/SSSish.txt

At this thread back in Nov 2006 ( Scroll Down to end ):

http://rs-forum.the-final.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=909&hilit=sssish&start=15

Timo also says "The biggest problem with SSSish is that it's a total hack"

I think for the moment if you want true SSS you may need to look
elsewhere, as to whether this will be resolved in the next version of
RS??? over to RS themselves to answer that!

Aidan