Hi Neil,

For all of my DVD/HDDVD/BLURAY encoding for network playback, I use the open source Handbrake and put everything in H264 under the .mkv container type. This is one of the two most popular formats for home networks, and has great file size and quality thanks to the advanced H264 encoding. It supports full AC3/DTS soundtracks with 5.1/7.1 or simply mono/stereo if you choose. Note that Handbrake does not encode or create your soundtracks, but will pass it through to the new file during video encoding. The latest version has a new feature (constant quality setting) that is essentially like VBR mp3 encoding, where teh bitrate will adjust as needed to maintain the quality level you set. It will read most formats out there, but I don't know what your original format is at this point, so you will have to check. As an example of file size, a typical 2 hr action movie encoded from DVD with AC3 sound, in full resolution, is about 1GB, give or take a little. I encoded my Swordfish HDDVD, reduced to 720p from 1080p, and it is under 2GB, compared to the bulky >70GB source. Encoding time for a ripped DVD (2 hr movie) to my HD is about 25-30 minutes on my 8 core system.

Runs on Windows/Mac OS X/ and Linux

http://handbrake.fr http://handbrake.fr/downloads.php

The player of choice for me is also free: VLC Media Player. It has many nice features to sync A/V for playback from out of sync sources, and will play nearly every AV format under the sun.

http://www.videolan.org
http://www.videolan.org/mirror-geo.php?file=vlc/1.0.3/win32/vlc-1.0.3-win32.exe

This may or may not be useful in your case, but it is good to remember for that one time when needed. =)

regards,
Brandon

Neil Cooke wrote:
Thanks for the nice word NIK and Mark,

>see a bigger version with sound

The whole thing is a huge file in it's current format and I dont know how to get it down to web size.
Anyway, some re-takes on this one and then on to Episode Two now :-)

N.