Vesa and Ville,

Im not sure about the intricacies BUT a format that is universal
enough is .MDD import / export. This pretty much imports exports point
position information on any mesh. When one imports exports .MDD - the
file created contains the coordinates of each point in time and the 3d
space as opposed to the actual bone deformation info. It doesnt store
the mesh either. For example you create an animation in  RS, export
the point info as a .MDD file, export the mesh itself as an .OBJ. Then
open the .OBJ in Modo, Lightwave etc apply the .MDD file to the mesh,
press play .. job done.

I am only mentioning .MDD as a quick stop gap measure?? One does not
need to coordinate the RS Bone / IK system with other apps and the
like because one is not exporting the actual bone deformations
themselves.

A commercial type .MDD plugin is Point Oven:

http://www.ef9.com/ef9/PO.htm

I thinks its used in XSI, Lightwave, Maya and so on. Maybe Point Oven
implemented in RS?

Maybe this is a useless bit of info,
But a thought all the same,
Aidan