I cant for the life of make this work
clipmap loaded from the library my own texture loaded then preview
either shows a white ball or dissapears when I play around with clip from and clip to....
what am I doing wrong?
tia
Alasdair

Hard to tell without more info... do you want to clip the white or the black? In my standard clip material (V6) "clip from" = [0 0 0], "clip to" = [0.3 0.3 0.3] and the black part is clipped out, works as expected.

You can use the Fade channel instead in a simple (but maybe slower to render) material by something like
Fade = Texture (MapCoords) or to get more control

Variable Clipvalue
Clipvalue = Texture (MapCoords)
If (ClipValue) < [0.01 0.01 0.01]
     Fade=1