Am 26.09.2013 12:53, schrieb Ramkumar Ramachandra:
> Richard Weinberger wrote:
>> So, what exactly is broken in upstream?
>> make defconfig works as it always did.
>
> Auto-detection of SUBARCH, which can be done with a simple call to
> uname -m (the 90% case). The second patch I submitted prevented
> spawning xterms unnecessarily, which we discussed was a good move.

Covering only 90% of all cases is not enough.
We must not break existing setups.
That's also why my "Get rid of SUBARCH" series is not upstream.

Your second patch changed CONFIG_CON_CHAN to pts, which is ok but not
a major issue.
The xterms are also not spawning unnecessarily they spawn upon a tty device is
opened.
With your patch UML create another pts. Thus, the spawning is hidden...
I did not push it upstream because it depended on your first one and as I said,
it's not critical.
This does not mean that I moved it to /dev/null.
Again, the plan is to get rid of SUBARCH at all.

>> make defconfig ARCH=um SUBARCH=x86 (or SUBARCH=i386) will create a defconfig
>> for 32bit.
>> make defconfig ARCH=um SUBARCH=x86_64 one for 64bit.
>
> Yes, that's how I prepared the patch in the first place.

So, nothing is broken.

If you want "make defconfig ARCH=um" creating a defconfig for the correct arch
you need
more than your first patch. Again, "Get rid of SUBARCH" series has the same
goal.

Thanks,
//richard