On Fri, Jan 26, 2007 at 04:05:05PM -0800, blah deblah wrote:
> I've made myself a slackware 10.2 uml virtual machine using the
> 2.6.19.2 kernel. I've configured it to use slirp for networking. My
> problem is that the upload speed from the virtual machine seems to be
> capped at 46KB/s. For example if I use scp to put a file onto the
> machine I will get about 2MB/s, but if I use scp to get a file from
> the machine I get about 46KB/s. But if I run several instances of scp
> getting files from the virtual machine, all get about 46KB/s each. Any
> ideas what's going on? Why isn't it allocating all available bandwidth
> between the connections?

An ordinary slirp runs as though connected to a modem running at a fixed
speed; this makes it quite slow. There's a "FULLBOLT" #define in the
source that makes it go as fast as possible.

If you use debian, an alternate slirp binary is provided as
/usr/bin/slirp-fullbolt with this enabled. To use it, run with
"eth0=slirp,,slirp-fullbolt" as your uml netdev, or arrange for
"slirp" on your machine to run slirp-fullbolt.

Would a patch be accepted to make uml try to use slirp-fullbolt by
default, and fall back to slirp otherwise?

Jason