"What is the largest size that seems to work?"

Tablet servers have been run in 64M JVMs without a problem, so long as
there isn't any other pressure to swap that memory out (such as large
map/reduce jobs).  Since we've been keeping the New Generation size
down ("-XX:NewSize=500m
-XX:MaxNewSize=500m") we haven't seen any problems with long pauses in the
GC.

We may have run them at larger sizes, but not for very long.  The example
configurations are there for seeing up a single node in your personal
development space, so the emphasis was on smaller memory footprints.

-Eric