Accumulo's authorizations are designed to be a whitelist, so you
cannot define "max credentials" in the authorization layer.

I faced a problem similar to yours, and I went with the custom
Authorizor approach. You can use the custom Authorizor to call out to
your third party service/database to obtain authorizations for end
users like Josh suggested.