I have a small cluster (9 bare-metal nodes, one escaping to other purposes), but it is dedicated to my use. Bare metal is 8 cores each, 24 GB RAM and 2 x 750 GB drives. That said, I've always wondered if there would be any benefit to virtualization.

Bare-metal install.
VMs with 1 to 4 cores each.
Docker on bare-metal.
Docker on VMs.

Has anyone done such analysis? If so, I'd like to know what was found out.

Kurt Christensen