I am afraid of bugs caused by introducing DNS-server:
* if could easily get out of sync with hostname-ip correspondence on
the nodes (the host name a node has could be resolved by DNS-server to
IP or another node, or even worse: a node could be started with
hostname like "ubuntu.com").
* two or more DNS-server (as one is the SPOF) could get out of sync.
* DNS-servers could be unreachable due to overload caused by other
clients (it happens quite often in dev environment).
* DNS-resolving introduces additional delay which could be slow due to
UDP-packet loss and retry.

Perhaps, a script maintaining /etc/hosts on all nodes or solutions
like Consul.io would address some of these problems.

I like your solution with --address command line switch more than
HDFS's property
"dfs.namenode.datanode.registration.ip-hostname-check", as it allows
to use nodes with more than 1 IP.