On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 12:38 AM, Josh Elser <josh.el...@gmail.com> wrote:

> MiniAccumuloCluster by default already uses the local file system.
>
> To get the correct sync semantics that Keith mentioned you need to set
> "fs.file.impl" in the Hadoop Configuration you pass to the
> MiniAccumuloConfig.

Yeah thats the main thing I was thinking of.  Thanks for digging it up
Josh.   Its really important to set that hadoop config when having Accumulo
use the local FS.  Otherwise the default class hadoop uses for the local fs
does nothing for flush.

A few caveats to be aware of :

  * The default impl is LocalFileSystem and it used to do nothing for
flush().   That may no longer be true, at one point it extended something
from CheckSumFS which did nothing for flush.
  * RawLocalFileSystem may not checksum data like LocalFileSystem does
  *  RawLocalFileSystem may not survive a power outage.  It flushes the
file to the OS... but the OS may hold it in its buffers for some time
before really writing it to disk.  So this means you would survive
processes terminating, but not the OS terminating unexpectedly.   When
using HDFS Accumulo can be configured to make the hdfs output stream make
java.nio calls to flush data to disk.