> 2. Instead of putting each "value" in its own field, you could combine
> them into an ordered set: field|{time1:value1,time2:value2,time3:value3}.
> For this to work well, you'd have to write a custom combining iterator that
> kept only the most recent 3 during scans and compactions, based on time (or
> whatever you use to denote version).

If you don't mind writing a custom iterator, then you can write an iterator
for the original schema (where colq is "field|value1") which acts as
follows.  Don't forget that entries include a timestamp field.  Let V be
the total number of versions you want to retain, and let ARR be an array of
values and timestamps of size V.

   1. Save the "field" of the first entry in the column qualifier.  Store
   the value and timestamp as the first entry in ARR.
   2. While the next entry has the same "field", store its value and
   timestamp in the next empty entry in ARR.
      1. If there are no more empty slots in ARR, then remove the entry
      with the least recent timestamp from ARR, and add the new value and
      timestamp to ARR (or don't add the new entry if it has the least recent
      timestamp).
   3. When the next entry does not have the same "field", emit all the
   entries in ARR, clear ARR, and go back to step 1 with new entry.
   4. When there are no more entries, emit ARR and no more (set hasTop() to
   false).

This approach works because a row is guaranteed to be stored on the same
tablet server, and we see all the entries for a "field" consecutively.  Let
us know how it works for you if you choose to go this route.

Regards, Dylan