From: James Hughes <jn...@virginia.edu>
To: user@accumulo.apache.org
Date: 07/07/2016 08:28 PM
Subject: Re: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError with fields of custom Filter

Hi Massimiliano,

I'm a fan of producing uber jars for this kind of thing; we do that for
GeoMesa. There is one gotcha which can come up: if you have several uber
jars in lib/ext, they can collide in rather unexpected ways.

There are two options to call out:

First, Accumulo has support for loading jars from HDFS into namespaces.
With that, you could have various namespaces for different versions or
different collections of iterator projects. If you are sharing a dev
cloud with other projects or co-workers working on the same project that
can be helpful since it would avoid restarts, etc. Big thumbs-up for
this approach!

Second, rather than having an uber jar, you could build up zip files
with the various jars you need for your iterators and unzip them in
lib/ext. If you did that for multiple competing iterator projects, you'd
avoid duplication of code inside uber-jars. Also, you'd be able to see
if there are 8 versions of Log4J and Guava in lib/ext...;) It wouldn't
be as powerful as the namespace, but there's something nice about having
a low-tech approach.

Others will likely have varied experiences; I'm not sure if there's an
established 'best practice' here.

Cheers,

Jim

On Thu, Jul 7, 2016 at 12:56 PM, Massimilian Mattetti