HDFS replication is transparent to Accumulo (though, the number of replicas
is configurable in Accumulo, on a per-table basis). Its primary purpose is
failure tolerance, but it *may* have an impact on read performance. I'm not
certain how significant that is, though.

There is no separate read-only and write-only copies of data on HDFS. HDFS
replication is at the block level, and files are updated by appending new
blocks to the files. All blocks are readable, and only new blocks are
written.