Hi Geoffry,

You cannot change the root password by changing accumulo-site.xml.  This
can only be done using 'accumulo init --reset-security'.

What property did you change in accumulo-site.xml? 'trace.password' or
'instance.secret'?

The property 'trace.password' sets the password for the user used by the
tracer.  This user used by the tracer is typically 'root' which is the
default for the property 'trace.user'.

The property 'instance.secret' sets a secret unique to the Accumulo
instance that all servers must know in order to communicate with one
another.  This is typically different than the root password.

If you changed 'trace.password', just change it back to your original root
password.  If you changed 'instance.secret', try set it back to its
original value. The default value for 'instance.secret' is 'DEFAULT'. If
you don't know the original value,
the manual has information on how to change the secret:

https://accumulo.apache.org/1.9/accumulo_user_manual.html#_instance_secret

I hope that helps.

-Mike