Hi Everyone,

I am trying to set up and start the application timeline server with Ambari.
For this i’ve created a blueprint with the appropriate configuration settings.
(I followed the description here:
http://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/HDP2/HDP-2.1.5/bk_system-admin-guide/content/ch_application-timeline-server.html).

The application history server fails to start due to a permission denied error:

2014-10-30 09:06:37,395 ERROR
applicationhistoryservice.FileSystemApplicationHistoryStore
(FileSystemApplicationHistoryStore.java:serviceInit(123)) - Error when
initializing FileSystemHistoryStorage
org.apache.hadoop.security.AccessControlException: Permission denied:
user=yarn, access=WRITE, inode="/":hdfs:hdfs:drwxr-xr-x
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSPermissionChecker.checkFsPermission(FSPermissionChecker.java:265)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSPermissionChecker.check(FSPermissionChecker.java:251)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSPermissionChecker.check(FSPermissionChecker.java:232)

I found a workaround by manually adding the yarn user to the hdfs group.

Any idea on what’s wrong?

Ambari version 1.6.0
Hadoop version: 2.4.0

Thanks!