So essentially if i want to use apache distribution i need to define my own
stack? Can't i just change some configuration so that it starts working
with apache distribution.

What i understood from documentation and code is to write a stack one needs
to provide his own replacement of "hdp-select" and "conf-select"
and couldnot find documentation around what is expected from these
tools(like what all functions one need to implement) so it looks like a
dark area to me.

A did a quick grep to see if there is something around version number of
stack and found this in ambari-commons

*ambari-common/src/main/python/resource_management/libraries/functions/stack_select.py:
   match = re.match('[0-9]+.[0-9]+.[0-9]+.[0-9]+-[0-9]+', stack_version)*
*ambari-common/src/main/python/resource_management/libraries/functions/get_stack_version.py:
 match = re.findall('[0-9]+.[0-9]+.[0-9]+.[0-9]+-[0-9]+',
home_dir_split[iSubdir])*
*ambari-common/src/main/python/resource_management/libraries/functions/get_stack_version.py:
 match = re.match('[0-9]+.[0-9]+.[0-9]+.[0-9]+-[0-9]+', stack_version)*

Looks like there is some rule around the naming of rpm packages and stack
naming which i am completely missing!!

--
*With Regards:-*
*Aman Poonia*