The struts mailing list archive has discussed this in great length.

The following may be of use but you should read the archive list.

http://wiki.apache.org/struts/AjaxStruts

-----Original Message-----
From: Frank [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 10 May 2005 19:50
To: Ant Users List
Subject: Axis and JAX-RPC

I'm still fairly new to Web Services and XML.  Still trying to
understand how to create a Web service using Java.  It seems you have a
number of options. I was first looking at doing it in JAX-RPC, java code
simple for the most part but the buld.xlm was real fun to get to work
fro even the hello world.  Just found this Apache Axis,  seems to be
easier.  Any one provide any advice etc on this, points to
reviews/comparisons?

Thanks,

Frank