Eric:
  Without consulting the code (much)... if you want
your custom task to recognize any of

<mytask>
  <mytypea />
</mytask>

<mytask>
  <mytypeb />
</mytask>

<mytask>
  <mytypec />
</mytask>

where mytypea|b|c all have one base class, you will
want to make each type available with a typedef and
then the code you have--addConfigured(BaseTypeClass
o)--should work. Beyond that I do wonder why you need
to cast your subtypes... OO would dictate that you
call  a designated method and they would simply behave
accordingly, but whatever floats your boat I suppose.

HTH,
Matt