I have developed a build system architecture which uses one common, generic build.xml file to build each module in the project. This build file can then recursively call itself with a different basedir to build modules upon which the current module depends (dependencies are configured in a per-module properties file).

I would love to be able to use the ant or subant task to accomplish this recursion, but I get the error "subant task calling a target that depends on its parent target 'deploy-deps'." I understand why I get this, but, frankly, it makes no sense, since the sub task is called with a different base directory, and, consequently, is a completely independent build. Am I doing something wrong, or is this simply a usage that was not planned for?

Incidentally, I have accomplished had I wanted by simply running ant in a java task to perform the recursive builds. It just seems like it would be more efficient not to launch a new jvm for every sub-build. :-)
---