You will need to point JAVA_HOME to 1.5 JDK (not JRE). Please also use directories without spaces.

- Alexey.

Rhino wrote:
Can the <javac> task in Ant 1.6.5 compile a typesafe enum when using the 'modern' compiler? If yes, how do I persuade it to do so? If no, is there any workaround or will I just have to compile the enum separately and include it in my build manually?

Here is my task:

<target name="compile" description="Compile the Java code.">
<javac srcdir="${common.src}" destdir="${common.bin}" compiler="modern" fork="yes"
 verbose="no" debug="on" debuglevel="lines,vars,source" deprecation="yes"
 description="Compile the code in the common package.">
 <patternset refid="ps.common"/>
 </javac>
</target>

Here is the (relevant) output from the build, which had both the -debug and -verbose switches on:

[javac] E:\eclipse\3.0.1\eclipse\workspace\Common\src\ca\maximal\common\Palette.java:19: 'class' or 'interface' expected

[javac] public enum Palette {

[javac] ^

For what it's worth, I tried adding the source="1.5" parameter to the target and got the message "javac: invalid source release: 1.5". My JAVA_HOME environment variable is set to D:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06, otherwise I'd suspect that I was pointing at a 1.4 (or earlier) compiler.

Can anyone shed some light on how I can get Ant to compile this enum?

Rhino