It depends. When I had any problems with jar, it was always because not SUN's jar was executed, but fastjar instead. But we should not prevent anybody from running any jar that he or she likes.

- Alexey.

Cena, Bernard (IT) wrote:
Steve Loughran wrote:
Cena, Bernard (IT) wrote:
Is there a way to substitute what executable is used under the hood
of <jar> task in similar fashion to executable and compiler
attribute for <javac> ? We've found <jar> quite slow on large
packages and were wondering if we could substitute for example GNU
jar which is much faster. If not, what would be your recommendation
for this - write own macro to replace <jar> ?
I would suggest contributing the effort needed to optimise the
  SVN_HEAD implementation of JAR.

Yes, had a look at the code itself and found the answer (lazy!) - thanks
for the responses!
It would be great to speed this up indeed - may see if we can find a
developer to spend some time on profiling this. In the meantime we might
just wrap GNU jar in a macro for a cut down <jar>.
Thanks
Bernard