On Wed, 01 Feb 2006, Ian Pilcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I just ran into a problem building EMMA
> (http://emma.sourceforge.net), because the build script expects to
> find ant.jar in the $ANT_HOME/lib directory, and JPackage puts it in
> /usr/share/java.  One symlink and the build works.
>
> The obvious follow-up question is, whose bug is this?

Not Ant's 8-)

> Is it appropriate to rely on the presence of $ANT_HOME/lib/ant.jar
> (doesn't seem entirely unreasonable to me)?

I wouldn't rely on ANT_HOME being set at all, but if it is, then I
think it's reasonable to assume it points to a directory hierarchy
like the one created by Ant's binary distributions.

> Is it appropriate to ignore the user's CLASSPATH in the process
> (seems less reasonable)?

There are good reasons to do so if you want to ensure you get exactly
the version of a library that you need.  I don't think this is the
case here, though.

> Should the JPackage RPM provide a symlink to conform to the file
> layout expected by Ant "clients"?

Probably, yes.

Stefan