On Thu, 27 Apr 2006, Archie Russell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm new to Ant and would like to make a new task class.  The
> examples I've online found are good pretty basic, they show an
> "execute()" method that seems to be run under all circumstances.

You want to read
<http://ant.apache.org/manual/develop.html#writingowntask>.

> What is the typical route for accomplishing this with a new task
> class?  Do we build a check into the execute() method that looks
> around for remnants of the previous task completing succesfully?

Yes.

<javac> scans the source directories for .java files and the
destination directory for .class files and compares timestamps and
only goes to work after determining what to do.  All this happens
triggered by a call to execute.

Stefan