Could you post the complete Ant script?
How are you invoking the script and the target(s)?

I noticed if you invoke ant with both targetA and targetB, then targetA
would be called multiple times.

However if you invoke ant with targetC (below) then targetA is invoked once.

<target name="targetC" depends="targetA, targetB">
<echo>in targetC</echo>
</target>

--glenn