We enforce the java version using one of these two routines in our init target:

        <!-- check for java version and fail build immediately if not using the
correct version -->
        <echo message="Java Version: ${java.version}"/>
        <echo message="Java home: ${java.home}"/>
        <fail message="Unsupported Java version: ${java.version}. Make sure
that the version of the Java compiler is 1.6.">
            <condition>
                <not>
                    <contains string="${java.version}" substring="1.6"
casesensitive="false" />
                </not>
            </condition>
        </fail>

or, to allow a minimum java version -

        <!-- check for java version and fail build immediately if not using the
correct version -->
        <echo message="Java Version: ${java.version}"/>
        <echo message="Java home: ${java.home}"/>
        <fail message="Unsupported Java version: ${java.version}. Please make
sure the version of the Java compiler is 1.5 (5.0) or greater.">
            <condition>
                <not>
                    <or>
                        <contains string="${java.version}" substring="1.5"
casesensitive="false" />
                        <contains string="${java.version}" substring="1.6"
casesensitive="false" />
                    </or>
                </not>
            </condition>