D'oh, I should have guessed the src.dir would emit as it did ;)

How about taking the dirname task on src.dir and echoing that?

<dirname file="${src.dir}" property="src.dir.name"/>
<echo message = "Absolute path:  ${src.dir.name}"/>

If memory serves, when I kick off my <javac> its usually from a "root" directory and not a relative one.