If the classpath is not identical, you could get a different transform
provider.  For example, we use Saxon as our provider, overriding what is
provided in the runtime library.

Thank you for the hint! I downloaded the latest xalan distribution and executed the ant script with the "classpath" attribute pointing to xalan.

And it worked! I naively assumed that a modern Java distributions (Java 8) include an xslt processor good enough to carry out this simple transformation correctly. But it's apparently not the case.

So, when in doubt, specify the xslt processor explicitly and do not rely on the one contained in the JDK!

Thank you all who has responded! Now the world is half sane again (only half because JDK contains a flawed xslt processor).