<parent>
        <groupId>org.apache.karaf</groupId>
        <artifactId>karaf</artifactId>
        <version>4.0.6</version>
        <relativePath>../../pom.xml</relativePath>
    </parent>

If I brought that down and modified it locally that's the case.  But what
I'd prefer is to have some properties settings in my child POM that could
override the Java version (or other aspects as well.)  But the karaf
profile/static registry mechanism is really just pulling a zipped copy of
karaf and then running through a bunch of profiles and installing the
specified content including my features file.

When I changed my project to use 1.7 it works.  Fortunately I'm early in
the process so there are only a few lambdas (mainly in test) that I had to
modify to get this to run right.  Right now I'm not too concerned about it
as I have some other details to work out.  With the blueprint version
working I want to go back to the CDI version and get that working as well.

Then I can worry about changing the branding package and name of the zip
file and other items.

Brad