Bill,
Thanks for the pointer. However, it is not clear to me how I would do this.
I would appreciate more details or a pointer to an existing test case I can
use as a reference.

I was hoping to mock Stats and then mock SlidingStats.getPerEventLatency()
but Stats.getVariable() is static so that won't work out :(